Thursday, January 21, 2010

Comfort Books

What week am I on?

Well, January is not even over and I've lost count. I do know that I haven't finished a book since the beginning of the year. And I don't really have great excuses. So, there you have it.

Do you have comfort books? A book you always turn to when things are bad, or you're tired, or whatever? I do. Harry Potter. But also, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

If you haven't read it- run out and get it. Now. Seriously. It is a wonderful book. Written in letters, it takes place right after WWII and follows the correspondence of a writer named Juliet. It's a lovely book about changing times, friends and relationships, and love. It ended the way all comfort books should end- tied up nicely, with nothing left to chance and everything in its place.

During this time while I haven't been reading new books I've been rereading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I pick it up and read a letter or two, starting anywhere I open it. If you haven't gathered this yet, I love this book. While reading it I feel like I'm getting a hug or holding a warm cup of coffee in both hands. Simple coziness, that's what it gives me.

Readers, if you're out there, what are your comfort books?

In other book news: the awards have been announced and so my list of books to read has grown. I was delighted that When You Reach Me won the Newbery, I really enjoyed that book. I'm happy for Libba Bray who won the Printz award for Going Bovine, I loved her Gemma Doyle series. Here's the official press release for all the winners. Make sure to add a couple to your reading list. They're the best from 2009.

2 comments:

  1. *Claps fiercely*

    Hurrah! Potato Peel society. Ah yay.

    I do know what you mean. I do have a couple of these:
    "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger
    "A Virtuous Woman" By Kaye Gibbons

    These two are just quiet reads. The prior ends exactly as you hope it will, and the latter is for when I want to read out loud and cry like a little girl at the end. And, all women need that sometimes.

    -Love, Bluebells

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo good to know. I've read the sample on my kindle but have yet to read the book itself. I'm reading a history of Chicago right now (City of the Century by Donald K. Miller) and struggling through finance/accounting classes, but I'll pick this back up as soon as I can now that I have your endorsement! :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete