Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Wondeful (wonderful! wonderful!) Wizard of Oz


Graphic interpretation of classics is nothing new, but this interpretation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Eric Shanower and Skottie Young stands out. The art is beautiful, the characters are cute, and the writing is well done. I loved the colors; they are stunning and perfect for Oz! Opening the book is like taking the first bite of a piece of cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory: rich and delicious.

I'm somewhat a novice to graphic novels, and it took me awhile to get used to the pacing of it. Once I got the hang of it, though, I really enjoyed reading it. I hope I'll get a chance to read more graphic novels this year.

The end notes included were an interesting look at the process of styling characters and the trial and error it takes to get a graphic novel right. They are very informative and valuable.

If you'd like to revisit Oz, this graphic novel is the way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment