Thursday, February 3, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

Lets talk about guilty pleasure stories.

Okay, I'll admit it. I love Chick Lit. Most of the books I've read so far this year have been teen contemporary romances. I love how light they are, that everything ends well, and that it really doesn't take much time to finish them. Oftentimes they are just the right balance of sweetness and drama to keep me reading.

But above all Chick Lit storylines I love a good Pride and Prejudice retelling. In 2003 my best friend discovered a modern movie version of Pride and Prejudice that had been produced by a Mormon movie company. We loved it. It was the movie that started it all for me- I liked Jane Austen before but loved her ever since.

Here's the trailer:



Yeah. Watching that again kind of makes me want to watch it right now. I will always have a soft spot for this Darcy.

Anyway, I recently came across author Elizabeth Eulberg. Last year her book, The Lonely Hearts Club was published. This year she came out with:



It's so delightfully pink!

And although I'm only about half-way through I am loving the Jane Austen goodness. Who doesn't want to fall in love with their very own Darcy?

Modernizations of Austen's stories just work. The stories are timeless. A retelling just feels fresh, fun, and accessible.

I believe Eulberg has done an excellent job bringing Pride and Prejudice to a whole new set of readers (and reminding the rest of us why we fell in love with Pride and Prejudice in the first place)!

No comments:

Post a Comment